Friday, February 6, 2009

My Birthday!

I have just had an amazing birthday. It was honestly one of the best birthdays I can remember. It started with my wonderful friend Amanda. Last year, we spent the year together in Korea, and so she knew about my family tradition of doing breakfast. I actually had forgotten about that bit of it in our travels, but she made sure to ask me what I wanted. I wasn't too particular; most anything sounded good. However, after a bit of discussion and some consultation with Matt, the guy we're staying with, we decided to attempt cinnamon rolls.

Amanda has made them before and had a great recipe for them. The guy we're staying with is typical as far as guys go and hasn't really done any baking at all, so there were a number of ingredients we needed to pick up. He did have some things, he informed us, including flour. So that night, Amanda made the dough and icing for cinnamon rolls. (The flour he assured us he had was a little tiny package. Thankfully we were only making a half batch, or there certainly wouldn't have been enough.) He didn't have any measuring devices, so there was a bit of creative estimating involved.

The next morning, she popped them in the oven. However, his oven is a bit strange, and sort of burned the top without fully cooking the bottom. However, they still tasted wonderful! I love cinnamon rolls, and I especially love cream cheese icing. And then adding orange juice and tea... Yum! I also got a good number of Happy Birthday messages from people back home, which made me smile. Then we headed to the bus station to go to Oxford.

On the way, I finished the book I was reading, and spent a good bit of time looking out the window. Coming in to Oxford was just what I had remembered. I was afraid it was going to be different than my memories, but it lived up to what I was hoping. We got off the bus and found our hostel. (We're staying at a better one than the one we stayed at last time.) Then we started walking the familiar streets. We were going to tea later that day at the house we where we used to live. But before it was time, we walked through the park and past some of the colleges we remember so well. It was good to be back.

We told each other of the memories of different places as we walked. Our feet had no trouble finding our street and then our house. It was a chilly day, and we recalled how Oxford was the first place we ever really wore scarves. (As well as where we fell in love with tea, hummus, and pesto.) We were early for tea, but the students there, after telling them who we were, were very nice. We got to chat to them and hear all kinds of stories. They were really warm and welcoming, and I just remembered how much I loved being there.

One boy was making baklava while another girl had made banana bread. Then there were all the traditional tea things, like digestives, twiglets and cakes. (They had the one cake I was really looking forward to eating. So that was nice.) (Also, when I went before, I didn't like twiglets. They have a rather burnt taste. And by the end, I could eat some. But this time, I really enjoyed them. Very strange.) We each had three cups of tea (which I got to drink out of a Queen Elizabeth cup, which was new to the place since I'd been there; meanwhile most of the cups we had had were gone), and got to hear tons of stories from the different students, as well as reconnecting with Jonathan.

We hung out in the kitchen, and helped wash up, as well as help some of the boys there write a poem for a contest which resulted in a date on Valentine's for the winning girl. After a while, Jonathan decided it was time to start dinner. I got to help a little bit, and the resulting meal was amazing. Every time I've eaten what he's made, I am amazed. We had lamb (because Americans don't eat much lamb) flavored with mustard and salt and pepper, and saffron cous-cous. He also fried up some zucchini with garlic, which was surprising and good. He had a sauce which he poured over bits of it, and he made mushrooms for the lamb. I have never been enjoyed eating mushrooms. But these mushrooms were the best tasting (and least mushroomy) mushrooms I have every had. My father will be horrified; my mother delighted.

For a second course, he made a salad, with mixed greens. It had a vinaigrette dressing and Maltese pine nuts and a bit of goat cheese, and was probably the best salad I have ever eaten. I was quite impressed with the taste. For dessert, he had little pastries with whipped cream and pomegranate seeds, and shaved dark chocolate on top. Overall, it was an incredible meal. (Sorry to go into so much detail, but I want to remember it, and perhaps attempt some of the parts at later dates.)

After dinner and washing up, we had some coffee, and sat around talking. Then Jonathan showed us some of his newly collected items, a first edition book he rebound and some unique old coins. Then, some of the others in the house announced it was snowing and they were going to have a snowball fight. So all three of us raced outside and launched a massive snowball fight, with most of the members of the Crick Street house. It lasted close to an hour, and everyone was freezing and wet, and so we all trouped inside and had hot cocoa. (One of my favorite things about England, and Oxford in particular is the constant supply of tea and coffee.)

We talked a bit more, and then heard yelling in the other room. We ran in to catch the last half of the stunning interception throw and amazing touchdown run from the Superbowl. We got to watch it on replay for quite a while and then some of the half time show before deciding we were too tired to stay any longer and headed back through the snow for our hostel.

Overall, it was one of my very favorite birthdays I can recall.

No comments:

Post a Comment